Horizon now adds a new option: application remoting based on Microsoft Remote Desktop Services (RDS). RDS, formerly known as Terminal Services, is a Microsoft technology that enables remote users to share applications installed on servers in the data center, as well as to share session-based desktops.
In Horizon, Remote Desktop Services hosts (RDS hosts) deliver Windows-based applications or desktops. The RDS host is a server containing both Microsoft RDS and View Agent. By installing an application on an RDS host, you can make a single instance of an application available to thousands of users, who access it remotely.
Workspace can aggregate and display:
- RDS-hosted applications
- ThinApp packages
- Citrix XenApp published applications
- SaaS- and cloud-based applications
- Workspace works on
- View desktops and RDS-hosted desktops
- Physical and virtual machines
- Both Windows and non-Windows devices (Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android)
New technical white paper: Application-Delivery Options in VMware Horizon 6.0