vSphere Network I/O Control version 3 introduces a mechanism to reserve bandwidth for system traffic based on the capacity of the physical adapters on a host. It enables fine-grained resource control at the VM network adapter level similar to the model that you use for allocating CPU and memory resources.
Version 3 of the Network I/O Control feature offers improved network resource reservation and allocation across the entire switch.
- Reserve bandwidth to guarantee service levels
- Applied at vNIC level
- Enables bandwidth to be guaranteed at the virtual network interface on a virtual machine
- Reservation set on the vNIC in the virtual machine properties
- Applied at a Distributed Port Group
- Enables bandwidth to be guaranteed to a specific VMware Distributed Switch port group
- Reservation set on the VDS port group
- Enables multi-tenancy on one VDS by guaranteeing bandwidth usage from one tenant won’t impact another